Johnson’s Baby Cologne

By the weekend, my rash had gotten so bad that I had to go back to the doc’s office. Afterwards, I took my new prescription to CVS – then browsed around the store, waiting for my Rx to be filled. While searching for the magazines, I took a wrong turn down the baby aisle…and guess what I saw? Johnson’s Baby Cologne. Yes, you heard me right. Baby cologne.

Here’s the 411 on this shameful new product:

babycologne Johnsons Baby CologneJohnson’s Baby Cologne has a gentle, fresh fragrance with a pleasant combination of floral and citrus hints. It leaves your baby smelling clean and fresh. This clinically proven mild formula is alcohol free, making it just right for your baby’s delicate skin.

What is this world coming to? What kind of parent is thinking, “Damn, my baby really reeks. Maybe Johnson’s is onto something with this baby cologne!”

I actually smelled this stuff, and it’s truly awful. Don’t get me wrong – I do not condone spritzing cologne on infants. But if your target consumer is still in diapers, wouldn’t powdery notes be more appropriate than floral and citrus scents?

I think that if any parent attempts to purchase Johnson’s Baby Cologne, they should be met at the register by Child Protective Services. Just a thought.

Click here for the horrendous commercial.

13 Comments on Johnson’s Baby Cologne

1. Delirium~
    April 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM (7 years ago)

It’s been years since I first saw perfume for babies. Burberry has had one for years.

I find it quite, quite horrendous!

2. monique
    April 21, 2008 at 7:18 PM (7 years ago)

LOL!!! yikes…i don’t think babies ever smell bad unless their diaper is dirty! i can’t believe this is on the market…OMG! LOL!!!!

3. mayaari
    April 21, 2008 at 8:04 PM (7 years ago)

baby cologne has been around for a while actually – it’s widely available in the philippines in a number of different scents. Whenever I’d go to visit my family, there was always one little cousin still in diapers, and after a bath they got a liberal application of baby cologne because it was always so humid there, so it helped to prolong the whole clean bath feeling.

April 22, 2008 at 7:05 AM (7 years ago)

Ditto, mayaari.

Baby cologne has been around/has been very popular for quite some time now (read: DECADES) -not only in Asia, but in Europe as well.

Spain has long-standing aguas de colonia brands Monaguesca, Chispas, Nenuco, Para Mi Bebe, Gotas de Oro and Denenes. France, Germany and Italy also have a couple of famous brands (e.g., Mustela, Givenchy).

That being said, I am completely nonplussed as to why you are aghast with regards to the release of this product. Haven’t Americans heard of these products before?

5. Ray's Nay
    April 22, 2008 at 12:12 PM (7 years ago)

This is crazy, I couldn’t imagine putting some cologne on my 1 year old , even after his stinky old diapers. Crazy !!!!

April 23, 2008 at 11:13 PM (7 years ago)

this is soooooo not new…

it’s like using lotion or baby oil.

get over it, ya’ll!

7. yummy411
    April 24, 2008 at 2:55 PM (7 years ago)

@ mayaari and anon: actually i have never heard of this, nonetheless interesting to hear! since the smell of a baby is highly regarded as an innocent, natural scent that’s treasured, to cover it seems to be blasphemy. however, johnson and johnson is prob trying to crack the market and see what it would get. i don’t think that’s too popular here.

last week sometime, i was giving my 4 y/o a hug and kiss and put my head in his neck and found what seemed to be a natural baby scent that shocked me and i didn’t want to let him go =(

8. Liene at Blue Orchid Designs
    April 29, 2008 at 1:37 AM (7 years ago)

wow that is ridiculous!

May 31, 2008 at 4:52 AM (6 years ago)

Hi,
    Baby Colognes will not harm your baby, kids. They are specially made for them, used in many countries around the globe for decades even close to century like Denenes.
    Adults use them too after bath.
    If you are so against baby colognes, you should be also against soaps, baby oil, baby lotions,…etc.
    Don’t use shampoo or bath gel too, and enjoy the good smell of baby???
    Oh, also don’t use scented wipes and enjoy the smell???

July 25, 2008 at 8:27 PM (6 years ago)

Baby Colognes are not strong smelling perfumes. they are water-based. They are great for use in hot weather and after bathing. for adults and babies. I use denenes and nenuco myself. the blue Johnson’s one is also one of my favourites and have been using that since I was at school.

I have to get it from Spain or a really expensive shop in Portobello. It’s cheaper to get the from Spain.

In the West Indies and South America they also have Limacol and Alcolada. I wouldn’t recommend them for babies or children as they are alcohol-based. They are great for cooling down in the heat.

August 24, 2008 at 11:21 AM (6 years ago)

I was just talking to my son and wishing if I could find the Johnsons Baby Cologne (classic which is the blue bottle) here in Europe. He likes to use it too to his first born child because it reminds him not only the nice fresh smell but also his happy childhood.

October 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM (6 years ago)

does anybody know a baby perfume from southamerica???i just cannot remember the name. maybe something like paglieri( but not the italian mark)

December 26, 2008 at 12:17 AM (6 years ago)

Johnson and Johnson Violet lotion is used on babies to help them rest, para mi bebe violet is no different putting a baby fragrance on a baby does not say they stink or reak of pamper it just says that a mother took a extra step to her child wear for the day to make smell extra special…put the fragrance on their cloths not them its almost like washing their cloths in dreft or downy softner. there is no harm in it, but each person their own.