Is Allure Magazine Losing Its Allure?

hilary+and+jessica+allure+covers Is Allure Magazine Losing Its Allure?
As I was straightening up my apartment today (fine way to spend a holiday – I know), I was rummaging through my collection of magazines…trying to decide which ones were past their prime and needed to go in the trash. That’s when I noticed the similarities between the May and June 2008 covers of Allure Magazine.

kate+beckinsale+allure+cover Is Allure Magazine Losing Its Allure?In reality, Hilary Duff and Jessica Alba look nothing alike. But thanks to their mirror poses, side-swept bangs, and rose-tinted lips, the two starlets are doppelgangers. And if you look back to March’s issue, you’ll notice that Kate Beckinsale’s cover shot is almost identical.

Allure is one of my favorite mags. And I recognize that options are somewhat limited when you’re taking headshots. But c’mon. What I love most about beauty is the limitless possibilities…it’s transformative power. If you peruse the pages of Allure, you’ll see some stunning hair and makeup – especially in the editorials. But then, the lackluster covers looks stand in complete opposition.

It’s true you can’t judge a book by it’s cover. But in the world of magazines, the cover can have a huge impact on newsstand sales. And, in my opinion, magazine editors really need to wake up, smell the Chanel No. 5, and start giving us diverse, more alluring covers.

6 Comments on Is Allure Magazine Losing Its Allure?

1. JennBee
    May 27, 2008 at 2:56 AM (7 years ago)

LOL, you noticed too! It’s a shame because there were some in the past that I really liked; Keira Knightley and Rihanna come to mind.

The only thing I don’t like about Allure is the very heavily edited covers, though – Britney’s was totally crazy!

2. monique
    May 27, 2008 at 3:52 AM (7 years ago)

LOL! this is fab daneen! i am never impressed by allure covers anymore. they come in the mail and i am excited for a new issue, but soooo bored by the covers…we should write letters to linda!

3. Daneen :)
    May 27, 2008 at 3:58 AM (7 years ago)

I luvre Jessica Alba and she can do no wrong, IMO. I mean, I’ve seen “Honey” more times than I care to admit. But I really hate her smoky eye makeup on the cover of June’s issue. I think it makes her look tired. Mr. Spoiled Pretty says she looks “sultry.” In the 8 years that I’ve known my husband, that’s the first time he’s used that word. I laughed my ass off.

4. Laurie
    May 27, 2008 at 2:19 PM (7 years ago)

You are so right on with this! I’ve noticed this before too. I think they need to switch it up a bit:)

5. Always In Style
    May 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM (7 years ago)

I’d have to agree with you, their covers have been really lacking (and HIGHLY airbrushed) these past few months!

6. What would you like my name to be?
    May 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM (7 years ago)

Hell, yes! I mentioned that in one of my posts last week (or so). The covers all look the same. *Yawn*