When Did You Fall In Love With Beauty?

barbiehead When Did You Fall In Love With Beauty?
Most beauty addicts can pinpoint a moment in their life when they fell in love with hair and makeup.

For me, it was my Barbie Styling Head. Back in the day, I would spend hours trying to replicate the exaggerated 1980’s beauty trends on my Barbie Head. I braided and teased her hair within an inch of its life. At one point, I remember filling my mini hands full of Eucerin lotion and slicking Barbie’s hair back – a la Robert Palmer’s Addicted to Love. And in the 80’s, the head came with powder and cream “makeup” that was probably only meant for Barbie’s plastic face…but inevitably ended up all over my highly sensitive one. They didn’t worry as much about toxicity and choking hazards back then. Ah…those were the days.

When did your love of beauty begin?

6 Comments on When Did You Fall In Love With Beauty?

1. Toma
    May 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM (7 years ago)

My love of beauty began aroud age 10 when I picked up my first issue of Teen Magazine. Does anybody remember that mag? It was the best ever. I’m so sad they don’t publish it anymore. Oh well, now I steal my daughter’s Seventeen mags!

2. Fabulista
    May 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM (7 years ago)

I love this post. I fell in love with beauty when I received a fisher price yellow purse that came with a fake lipstick and a fake powder compact. It wasn’t even real and I kept “applying” both products. I must have been about three. I also used to talk about jewels and furs ad nauseum, and refused to wear this red robe I had until my grandmother sewed ruffles on the sleeves. All this occurred while I still under five. I must have been an odd child.

3. Girl-Woman
    May 15, 2008 at 9:27 PM (7 years ago)

My mom sold Avon when I was seven. All the tiny lipsticks and samples lured me into my beauty product obsession.

4. AJ
    May 16, 2008 at 7:08 AM (7 years ago)

The summer I stayed with my older cousin (1997) and my aunt in Georgia. My aunt worked at a makeup counter, and my cousin was already wearing make up. They would pretty me up everyday. They were so southern and glam, I still emulate them to this day. I just remember feeling so pretty. I didn’t even want to get dirty anymore. My tomboy days were officially over, and my love of makeup began.

5. Vee Bunny
    May 17, 2008 at 3:22 PM (7 years ago)

At 19 yrs old, my mother forced me to wear lipstick. My love for beauty products started when I discovered what concealer did for my acne spots. That was 7 years ago. At 30, I use makeup to hide flaws and never leave home without makeup. I even found a waterproof concealer for the gym….lol.

6. suzie wuzie
    May 18, 2008 at 10:01 AM (7 years ago)

i started later in life. when i was 17! it was the time of my ball and i had to put on makeup so it pretty much ballooned from there!