Is "Smooth Away" A Throwaway?

smooth+away+pads Is "Smooth Away" A Throwaway?
I just got off the phone with Lauren (my younger sister/beauty addict apprentice) – and she excitedly told me about her experience with Smooth Away, those hair removal discs seen on TV.
smooth+away1 Is "Smooth Away" A Throwaway?Initially, Lauren laughed when my mom admitted to purchasing the pads; you see, Mama Spoiled Pretty has yet to meet an infomercial she didn’t like. But Mom had the last laugh when Lauren used the mini Smooth Away pad to successfully buff away the fuzz on her upper lip.

Lauren told me that it had been a few weeks since she had been threaded, but it was too soon to pay to have the peach fuzz ripped out of her face – so she decided to put Smooth Away to the test. She was absolutely amazed by how it removed her mustache with minimal irritation. Lauren did admit that her lip was a tiny bit tender right after she used the Smooth Away pad, but she does have very sensitive skin – and she said that the discomfort dissipated quickly.

A product needs to really deliver to get high marks from my sister, so I trust that she and my mom have found an as-seen-on-TV winner. I’ll be back in Philadelphia in a few days – so once I’ve tried Smooth Away, you’d best believe I’ll be blogging away and weighing in with my own conclusions.

Update: click here for my review of Smooth Away!

19 Comments on Is "Smooth Away" A Throwaway?

1. Devin
    December 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM (6 years ago)

Hey,

I used a similar product that I found at Walmart a couple of years ago. I used it on both my upper lip and chin. It did take the hair off which was cool, but I noticed after using it a couple of times that my skin was peeling a lot in those areas. The peeling, dry skin was as noticeable as any hair growth I might have had. I didn’t use the product much longer after that.

2. There's A Wocket In My Pocket
    December 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM (6 years ago)

I’ve been thinking about trying these, can’t wait for your review.

3. Aleksis
    December 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM (6 years ago)

Oooo I can’t wait until you try this!!

4. Jackie
    December 29, 2008 at 2:42 AM (6 years ago)

My teenage daughter keeps asking to try Smooth Away. I am a little iffy on buying it. I do hope you are able to try it and will review it on your blog. Thanks!

5. shssan
    December 29, 2008 at 3:47 AM (6 years ago)

Are you going to let us know about its leg hair removing powers too? I hate shaving with a fiery passion. (:

6. kagey10
    December 29, 2008 at 5:32 AM (6 years ago)

so now my question is do I buy now or wait on your review? augh, the tragedies of life….

7. Zow
    December 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM (6 years ago)

These sorts of buffing hair removal pads have been around for ages. And they’re awesome! Exfoliation AND hair removal without the irritation of shaving! Total awesomeness.

8. Delirium~
    December 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM (6 years ago)

It’s useless on anything that even resembles coarse hair… Both my legs and my bikini area ended up red, sore and still full of hair.

I tried to use it as a touch up between waxing, but it’s no use for that either. I just threw mine out…

9. Soho500
    December 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM (6 years ago)

ey there,
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Great Blog!! I personally loved your pics …. Must admit you have a great sense of style. Keep up the good work.
    PS: I have initiated an idea to create a fashion and style blogroll where bloggers from the jewelry, fashion, style and beauty could participate.
    All you need to do is to add my blog link to your blog and i’ll do the same.
    That way, we could have a mutual partnership and we could refer visitors to each other’s blog.
    Please let me know if you would be interested.

Thanks!
    Barbara and Ellen
    The Gals at SoHo

10. Roxy
    December 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM (6 years ago)

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts. I’ve been curious about this product forever and would love to use it over my bikini line.

December 29, 2008 at 11:12 PM (6 years ago)

I don’t think it is the most used product in europe. And personally did not really like, but if it works for you go for it.
    Dani

12. LadyJane
    December 30, 2008 at 12:08 AM (6 years ago)

Nice to know that something advertised on tv actually works. Ever since I saw the infomercial, I wanted to try it. I hope they still sell it at the kiosk at the mall. Thanks for sharing girl! Happy New Year to you and yours :)

13. jessilynn
    December 30, 2008 at 3:34 AM (6 years ago)

Hi Daneen, I am so glad to hear more good reviews on this product and will be buying it myself soon. I wonder how many times you can use them before you need to buy more? I plan to use them on my legs too. Anyhow, thanks for the post! Kristi

December 30, 2008 at 5:45 PM (6 years ago)

They sell it at cvs for 9.99

January 4, 2009 at 3:40 AM (6 years ago)

I bought Smoothaway from Bed, Bath & Beyond. $9.99 (buy it in a STORE so the infomercial companies cannot rip you off!) & It does work, but it takes a lot longer than shaving, so it's a waste of time for that. HOWEVER, what I do is I use the smooth away on my knees and elbows & then shave my legs, because I like how my smooth the skin on my knees feels after using it. GREAT FOR EXFOLIATING But for legs I recommend just shaving them; 5 minutes in the shower tops, and you're done, so why fight it? It's also good for facial hair if you have very fine light hair. Not sure if it's as good on courser facial hair. If you use on your face, make sure you do not overdo it or you will end up with rugburn, just gentle circles 3x one direction & 3x in the other like the directions say. IF you need to do it more than once, I would recommend waiting until the next day. Do a gentle once over at night before bed, then wash and moisturize; then do the same thing the next night. After that you can probably get away with just a quick once over 1x a week. I LOVE the way my face looks and feels after I use it and then wash and moisturize. Skin looks and feels smoother. So I will continue to buy the refills, but like I said before if you want it for your legs then don't even bother. 1/2 hour minimum to do both, so it's faster to shave. Just my opinion.

January 5, 2009 at 1:54 AM (6 years ago)

does anyone know how well it works on arms?the hair on my arms are not coarse,light but noticable when up close which is why i would be interested in getting this product.well i’d love to know!

17. Chickadeeva
    January 12, 2009 at 12:00 AM (6 years ago)

I bought this product for my pre-teen girls who are getting to the point where underarm hair and leg hair is an issue. I think it works great – but do NOT overuse on face as they are harsh little grains for such a delicate area.

If you don’t get all the fuzz the first time, try the next day. A little goes a long way, and you don’t want to over-exfoliate your skin.

February 2, 2009 at 4:44 AM (6 years ago)

tried it on my arm hair and seemed to work ok but on the courser hair on my legs it didn’t do much of anything and it takes a lot longer than simply shaving

February 5, 2009 at 7:04 AM (6 years ago)

This product burns your skin and doesn’t remove all the hair. One pad only works for one leg. It hurts, they charged double for shipping, and doesnt even work. It’s a complete rip off!!