Where Oh Where Have the Footed Tights Gone…

tights Where Oh Where Have the Footed Tights Gone…Picture this…

It’s Thursday night and I’m this close to leaving for New York Fashion Week…I’m driving around suburban Philadelphia looking for some simple, black tights. The ones with feet. Remember those?

This week, I hit up all of my fave discount stores looking for inexpensive black tights. The display at TJ Maxx was so haphazard and sparse that it took me all of three seconds to determine they didn’t have what I was looking for. I almost laughed at the selection at Marshall’s…pretty pitiful. I got momentarily giddy at Daffy’s when I saw an entire wall of tights. Unfortunately, Daffy and I have different definitions of the term “tights.” Daffy’s seems to think that leggings and tights are the same thing; and I was perturbed to find that none of Daffy’s black “tights” had feet.

Did I miss the memo? Since when did a basic pair of tights become so the proverbial needle in a haystack? Call me old fashioned, but I want some damned tights, with feet. None of this newfangled, no-feet nonsense. I bet there’s a a guy (with a foot fetish) behind this whole legging trend.

Anyway, my next stop was Express. The store was nearby and I had a $25 gift card – so I decided to do a drive by. And you know what? They wanted to charge me $16.50 for one pair of black tights! Oh, no no no. Homey don’t play that. Even with their “buy one, get one half off” deal, I would have maxed out my gift card – and still have had to reach in my pocket.

Determined to find the elusive simple, black tights for under $6 (which is what I’m used to paying) – I dropped by Burlington Coat Factory today…and was blown away at what I found. A hot mess…that’s the best way I can describe it. I saw trouser socks, pantyhose, athletic socks, knee highs, gold lame leggings, and these sweater leggings with a ruched seam at the bottom (which were hella cool – but not what I was there for). What I didn’t spy was my black tights. So, as a last resort, I dug into a hodgepodge of hosiery on the clearance table – and found several pairs of black tights. Problem was that they didn’t have any kind of packaging. In fact, they looked like some lady undressed in store and left a souvenir on the sale display. There was a $3.99 price tag stuck to them – with no indication of size or brand. Just some sad looking tights.

Long story short (too late), I ended up at Macys – and bought two pairs of Hue tights for $20. Serves me right for waiting until the last minute.

14 Comments on Where Oh Where Have the Footed Tights Gone…

1. Deidre
    February 13, 2009 at 3:28 PM (6 years ago)

Ugh, Daneen, I know exactly what you mean! I had a similar experience. For future reference I found a whole bunch of tights at H&M (black ones were in abundance). A pack of two for around $9…not bad.

2. hypnotic
    February 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM (6 years ago)

:( it's really a problem…i shouldn't talk though, since i am wearing some grey diamond print footless tights! you should have tried h&m

3. BuffyAnne
    February 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM (6 years ago)

Lady, you’ve got to hit up a Target! They have old school tights in every single color, pattern, etc… usually on sale for less then $5.

4. Tiff
    February 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM (6 years ago)

Urban Outfitters and H&M have cheap footed tights–but the quality won't be as good as the Hue ones. For budget quality, I always find Secret brand drugstore tights work for me.

February 13, 2009 at 6:04 PM (6 years ago)

i had the exact same problem recently! i ended up finding black tights at target.

6. sarahPUFFY!
    February 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM (6 years ago)

I paid $11 for my Hue tights at Dillards last year, and now they have disappeared. I need a new pair. They make the best opaque tights…

7. rachel
    February 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM (6 years ago)

agree with the last post…target is the place to go…they have merona tights that are in a tall length too which is great for us taller girls (i’m almost 6ft)

8. Kohl Girl
    February 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM (6 years ago)

Daneen, try Walgreens or CVS. The ones around here have tons of black tights! For cheap!

9. PrissyGreen
    February 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM (6 years ago)

u need target and kohls!

10. Virenda
    February 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM (6 years ago)

So I've had the same problem and had to search high and low for some friggin black tights WITH feet.

I bought some at Target, Walgreens, and H&M… They were great for a week or so.

I also bought a pair of Hue black opaque tights in a size up from my "normal" size and they are the best flipping tights I've ever had. They are super dark, soft, comfortable, and they last forever. I've had mine for a year and half and they still are as good as the day I bought them. I will say that I don't wear them every single day… Only if the outfit calls for it.

So long story short, Hue tights while more expensive are totally worth it Daneen and you'll be happy you made the purchase. :)

11. Carissa
    February 14, 2009 at 7:19 AM (6 years ago)

I don’t usually have a problem finding the tights– have gotten most of mine from Kohls– it is finding a pair that I like that is the problem! and picking the right size… luckily, I don’t need tights that often in SoCal :)

but I am jealous that you went to NY fashion week! I would brave the cold for that!

12. Shayela
    February 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM (6 years ago)

Haha as I was reading this I was like “I gotta tell her to go Hue at Macy’s!” I had a whole bunch of Express tights (serious love for the silver snakeskin and vert. striped patterns), and they rip within one or two wears for me. Two pairs of Hue tights, however, have been lasting me months…snag-free (:

also:serious hate for footless :/

13. Maria
    February 15, 2009 at 2:43 AM (6 years ago)

ugh! tights! For future reference – Target. Tons and tons of tights.

14. plushjunkie
    February 15, 2009 at 4:16 AM (6 years ago)

We had a similar experience and ended up at Target, as well! Forever 21 and H&M have a good selection too.