In this particular session, instructors Jesse (who has made up the fierce faces of Estelle and the
Christina Aguilera as previous clients) and Jocelyn (who led my last Studio Talk class
) taught us how to recreate this season’s hottest makeup trends. Jesse demonstrated an ‘on-trend eye’ look, with blue smoky shadow and a pale lip – while Jocelyn demonstrated an ‘on-trend lip’ look – complete with a geometric bronze eye and red glossy lip. Mama Spoiled Pretty and I opted for the latter, and we had fantastic results – if I do say so myself.
Here’s how it’s done:
1) Mist the face with Fix+, an aqua-spritz of vitamin and minerals, infused with a calm-the-skin blend of green tea, chamomile, cucumber, topped off with the fresh, natural, energizing scent of Sugi.
2) Apply moisturizer using 190 Foundation Brush.
3) Using the 190 Foundation Brush, apply Prep + Prime Skin to entire face; this product acts like double stick tape for your face, so foundation lasts longer than a hot minute.
4) Using a synthetic eye shadow brush like the 242 Shader Brush, apply Paint Pot in Painterly to the eye – from lashline to brow bone. Paint Pots are an excellent shadow, but also do double duty by preventing creasing and acting as a lid primer to prevent shadow slippage.
5) Apply brown eye shadow to lid, from lash line to crease, with the same brush from step 4; I used Mulch Eye Shadow (red-brown w/bronze pearl), which I later purchased. It’s that gorgeous.
6) Using the 219 Pencil Brush (another product I purchased post class), apply gold eye shadow to the lash line, starting at the inner corner and working your way half-way along the top and bottom lash line.
7) Line the eye – in short straight strokes – with Technakohl Liner in Graphblack (rich graphic black) along the entire top lash line.
8) Starting at the middle of the bottom lash line, line with Graphblack – and line outward.
9) Using the short stroke method, create a sideways V on the outer corner of the eye; so start at the outer corner, draw a few short strokes, horizontally – then continue the strokes upward and inward towards the crease of the eye.
10) Take the 219 Pencil Brush and blend the liner you applied in steps 7-9 and smudge them, softening the line.
11) Next, take a darker brown shadow (I used Embark Eye Shadow
– an intense reddish brown) and, using the 219 Pencil Brush, apply in a sideways V to the outer corner of the eye – on top of where you created the sideways V with the Technakohl Liner.
12) Blend the entire eye using the 224 Tapered Blending Brush
and circular motions – to avoid any harsh lines.
13) To create more depth, Jesse suggested I also apply a black shadow in the same manner as step 11 (I used Carbon – intense matte black). He was absolutely right, as it amped up the smokiness. Afterwards, use the 224 Tapered Blending Brush to blend again.
14) Next, apply foundation to the entire face, using the 190 Foundation Brush from steps 2 and 3. Make sure not to disturb your kick ass eye shadow.
15) Using the same brush, apply concealer directly underneath the eyes.
16) If your face is looking a little dry by this point (mine did), mist your face again with Fix+.
17) Using the 208 Angled Brow Brush
, apply a shadow that is slightly darker than your brows to define them thicken them up. Mistakes are easily corrected with a Q-Tip.
18) Using the 129 Powder/Blush Brush
, apply Mineralize SkinFinish in Cheeky Bronze
(soft golden coral w/ bronze pearl) to cheekbones for a subtle glow that illuminates bone structure when it catches the light; it looks so amazing, I ended up buying this product. Jesse also recommended that you say “Bladow!” when applying it; saying this won’t make it look any better, but it’s hilariously fun.
19) Using the same brush, apply a light dusting of blush (I used Sincere Powder Blush,
a muted beige/coral) to the apples of cheeks and blend outwards.
20) Line lips with Spice Lip Pencil
(pink cinnamon stick) and fill them almost all the way in; leave the center of the bottom lip bare.
21) Using the 316 Lip Brush
, apply Viva Glam VI Lipstick
(terracotta-plum with pearl) to both lips.
22) Using the same brush, apply Viva Glam I Lipstick
(intense brownish blue-red) to the center of lips – both top and bottom.
23) Using the 316 Lip Brush again, apply Dazzleglass in Love Alert
(raspberry red with red pearl) to entire mouth.
24) Finish off the look by applying Prep + Prime Lash
to lashes; and while it’s still wet, top lashes off with two coats of Zoom Lash Mascara in Zoomblack
I’d like to give a shout out to Spoiled Pretty readers/Twitter followers who I had the pleasure of meeting at the event: Felicia, Stephanie, Jackie, Sandy and Libby. You ladies looked ab fab after the class, and I hope you all had a fabulously fun time like me and Mama Spoiled Pretty!
Jesse and model
Jocelyn and model
Libby and Mama Spoiled Pretty
The finished product (I almost forgot to take an ‘after’ photo, so I snapped a few in the car)
Better view of the eyes
Another shot of the eyes – Bladow!