Remember the Mario Dedivanovic workshop I sponsored last month in NYC? Well, Mario just posted a video recap – and I make a cameo. Can you spot me?
I love fashion and beauty magazines.Mr. Spoiled Pretty, not so much. Probably because I subscribe to a gazillionand my magazine library takes up a ridiculous amount of real estate in ourhouse. Every month when my new issues are delivered, I pour over the pages –reading about the latest products and innovations and gleaning genius styletips. But as much as I love my magazines, I’m often frustrated by the broad-spectrumadvice. Like most women, I want advice and recommendations that address myunique beauty and style concerns. Which is why I am so excited to have recentlydiscovered a new website that offers a truly customized, interactiveexperience.
StyleUnited is the first personalizedwebsite that provides women with a one-stop destination for head-to-toe fashionand beauty consultations, recommendations, and news. The site features articles,slideshows, blog posts and how-to videos from P&G and industry expertsincluding: influential stylists, fellow bloggers and online editors.
StyleUnited provides customized recommendationsbased on responses to Style360, a one-of-a-kind diagnostic tool that gives youa fresh perspective on your total style.
Four fun quizzes are designed to understandyour unique skincare, haircare, cosmetics and fashion needs:
Fashion Focus: Fashion goes beyond the season’s hottest trends.Whether you’re Boho Chic or Flirty Romantic, we help you find flatteringsilhouettes and the looks you love.
Mad For Makeup: Your makeup is as individual as you are. We evaluateyour features, coloring and goals to help you turn up your gorgeous.
Hair Affair: All hair is not created equal. From root to tip, weoffer you custom advice on making yours shine, and how to achieve the looks youwant.
Skin Deep: Every woman’s skin has unique characteristics andneeds. We help you create a custom regimen that gets yours glowing.
I had a ball playing around withStyle360 and was impressed by how spot-on the assessments were. For example, theFashion Focus quiz described my look as “edgy bold with a hint of casual cool.”It correctly guessed that I’m drawn to “sexy rock n’ roll pieces” (I am asucker for anything studded), but added that also like “a few soft cozy touches”(I have a closet full of open cardigans and I practically live in Uggs).
The product recommendations werealso dead-on. In fact, some of the items that Style360 suggested are already onheavy rotation in my beauty arsenal.
If you’re looking for an evenmore personalized experience, StyleUnited offers 1:1 eBeauty – a live webcamconsultation with professional beauty consultants. Don’t have a webcam? Noproblem. 1:1 can be done over the phone too. It’s like a department storebeauty counter experience (except you can do it in your pajamas and slipperswhich I’m pretty sure might get you kicked out of Nordstrom). And how much doesthis real time advice session cost? Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
So if your New Year’s resolutionis to get gorge in 2012, you’d be wise to add StyleUnited.com to your bookmarks. Besides being a great style resource, it’sdownright addictive. But you don’t have to take my word for it…try it for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments.
This post was sponsored by StyleUnited.com, but all opinions are my own.
Got a question for Mario? Email your makeup and skin care queries to firstname.lastname@example.org, and check back next Monday to read Mario’s expert advice!
Believe it or not, I achieved this opacity with just one coat of polish. It took almost no time at all to dry (a huge bonus when you’re multitasking and as busy as I am) and I’ve been getting compliments on my mani all week.
I’ll be reviewing some more products from the new collection in the next couple of days…so stay tuned (and save up your cash).
Mario is one of the most sought-after makeup artists in the world and is the wizard behind Kim Kardashian’s flawless face. His celebrity clientele also includes Natasha Bedingfield, Eliza Dushku, Michelle Williams, Amanda Bynes, Gina Gershon and many others.
Over the course of the five hour seminar, Mario worked his makeup magic, demonstrating how to create a red carpet look – with singer/actress Adrienne Bailon acting as his model. Mario also answered the attendees burning beauty questions, like he does here in his Makeup Mondays with Mario column, and shared his expert techniques. And being the sweetheart that he is, he posed for photos with all of the workshop participants.
|That’s me in the back, furiously taking notes.|
|Strike a pose….there’s nothing to it…VOGUE!|
For those of you who didn’t attend, you really missed out. Luckily, I took nine pages of copious notes and here are some gems:
* Mario cleans his makeup brushes with Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo.
* His favorite foundations include Nars Sheer Glow Foundation, Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, Make Up Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation and Kevyn Aucoin Liquid Airbrush Foundation.
* When setting foundation with powder, use a velour puff.
* When filling in the eyebrows, you should always go darker on the outside of the brow. This visually lifts and makes eyes look wider set.
* Mario loves Sigma Beauty’s Blending Brush #25 to define the eye crease.
* “Making a client feel comfortable is as important than the quality of the work,” Mario said. “If a client doesn’t feel comfortable, they won’t book you again.”
* Kim Kardashian’s makeup can take up to 2 hours, whereas her sister Kourtney likes her makeup to be done in 20 minutes or less.
* Mario’s favorite highlighter is one that he custom blended himself. “EYE M GLAM is a sheer highlighting powder that will give you the most gorgeous, golden glow. Using GIELLA mineral pigments, I custom blended EYE M GLAM while sitting on the floor in my apartment one evening, determined to come up with the best highlighter.” Use it under the brows, on cheekbones, down the bridge of the nose and anywhere else you want to define bone structure. Soon, Giella will be releasing Lip Glam – a peachy golden gloss that Mario mixed to be like EYE M GLAM for lips.
* Mario’s favorite liquid eyeliner is MAC Liquid Eye Liner “because it doesn’t dry glossy – it dries matte.”
* When applying powder cosmetics with brushes, don’t pull and drag – it will just smear and ruin your base. Instead, press the bristles into the skin. And don’t load up the brush with product. Less is always best because you can add more, if necessary. If you accidentally apply too much, you may have to wipe it off and start over again.
* When applying concealer under the eyes, Mario takes it to a whole nuther level. Using a brush, he applies a cream concealer (that is 2 shades lighter than your skin tone) under each eye – in the shape of an inverted triangle. The bottom tip of the triangle should be mid-cheek, at the level of your nostril. Then layer a liquid concealer on top of the cream concealer (Mario likes Make Up For Ever Lift Concelaer). Then blend…blend…blend, girl – using the ultimate beauty tool, the beautyblender sponge.
* When you’re finished your makeup, apply MAC Fix+ to set everything. Mario said, “The silicone in it makes all of the makeup look more natural.”
In addition to attending the workshop and learning from the master, I was also a sponsor of the event. I raffled off a basket of Spoiled Pretty faves (you know I love me a giveaway), which included:
* CoSTUME NATIONAL SCENT: SCENT was created to highlight the intoxicating floral of hibiscus. Somewhat light and fresh at first, SCENT gradually makes its way to a rich, golden elixir. Perfect for the well-bred bad boy (or girl)!
* ghd Scarlet Collection Limited Edition: Inspired by the bold reds hues and ‘Art Deco’ influence seen on the catwalks of designers such as Gucci, Rodarte and Marc Jacobs, ghd introduces Scarlet Collection Limited Edition. For the first time ever, hot red styling plates adorn the best selling ghd Gold Series Professional Styler, whose signature rounded barrel allows you to easily create curls, waves, flicks or straight looks. Packaged in a luxe, red satin roll mat that doubles as a chic clutch, this limited edition collection is the perfect accessory to keep you and your hair looking stylish.
* TEMPTU Limited Edition Everyday Luxury Set: TEMPTU, the worldwide leader in high-definition airbrush makeup, is offering the gift of flawless, A-List skin with the Limited Edition Everyday Luxury Set. This luxurious gift set makes airbrushing at home simple with TEMPTU’s revolutionary technology including the TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System, a gift certificate to receive a free custom match AIRpod Foundation as well as a chic limited edition silver Jet Set Case to stylishly store your collection.
* TEMPTU BASE Smooth & Matte Primer: This portable powerhouse creates a poreless finish, diffuses skin’s flaws, and fights shine all day and night! Now you can minimize the look of pores and fine lines and achieve a soft-matte, airbrushed complexion without the heavy, greasy feel traditionally associated with face primers.
* LaLicious Sugar Reef Collection: LaLicious introduces their newest scent, Sugar Reef. Infused with notes of casaba melon, white tea and ginger, Sugar Reef encapsulates the clean and fresh aroma of an ocean breeze. This luxurious scrub and body oil are formulated to moisturize and smooth your skin to perfection. Lalicious products are all natural and free of parabens, preservatives and sulfate detergents.
* Mary Kay Mineral Eye Color Bundles: Your eye color – intensified! Expert makeup artists have done the thinking for you – picking the right vibrant, long-lasting mineral eye shades to make your eye color pop. Available in Beautiful Brown, Brilliant Blue, Gorgeous Green and Hypnotic Hazel.
* Mary Kay TimeWise Miracle Set: Provides incredible age-fighting results to help you maintain younger-looking skin. The set offers 11 age-defying benefits in one skin care regimen: cleanse, exfoliate, freshen, energize, hydrate, smooth, firm, soften, protect, rebuild and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. And it even works with sensitive skin.
* Mary Kay TimeWise Night Restore & Recover Complex: Awaken the age-fighting potential of your skin at night and get the most out of your beauty sleep. This advanced age fighter works with your skin’s natural cycle to recover from the day’s damage. So you can wake up to younger-looking skin.
* Mary Kay NouriShine Plus Lip Gloss: Kiss your lips with instant moisture, feel-good benefits and serious shine. This gloss is available in 14 gorgeous colors you can’t live without. You’ll love the superlight, long-lasting, creamy formula and the good-for-your-lips ingredients, like antioxidants and botanical extracts, that leave lips smoothed, protected and conditioned.
|Mario picks Anjanet as the winner of the beauty basket raffle!|
Many thanks to the aforementioned brands for generously donating products for the giveaway.
Anjanet, the lucky winner, definitely got a workout toting her beauty booty back to the Bronx.
Mario’s workshop was an amazing event and I’m so glad I made the trip to NYC (some people even traveled from other countries to see Mario in person – he’s THAT good). The workshop has received rave reviews. I even taped a few…
Sorry for being so late announcing the winner, y’all. I just started a new jobby job and I’ve been hella busy. Anyway, the lucky lady who will receive the Lauren Merkin for John Frieda Flyaway Tamer Clutch (valued at $275) is….Tahnee!
Congrats, Tahnee. I hope it was worth the wait.
Until next time…
The stars may have spent hours in hair and makeup before hitting the red carpet, but we have the scoop from the Wella Professionals hairstylists, who created some of the evening’s most glamorous hairstyles, on how to get these looks at home without breaking a sweat.
Want red carpet hair? DailyMakeover.com is giving away 10 packs that retail for $100 of Wella Professionals hairstyling products that were used to create the following glamorous looks. Just click this link, and leave a message in the comments area saying which red carpet hairstyle you like best to be entered to win!
|Jason Merritt/Getty Images|
To Get The Look: First, apply Wella Professionals Natural Volume Styling Mousse to wet hair, then use your hands to shape your hair while it air dries. Once dry, lift up your roots and blow dry upward to create extra lift at the crown. Then, apply Wella Professionals Mirror Polish for a glossy finish and to help smooth hair into shape. Add a simple black headband with a jeweled brooch to give this retro look a modern spin. Push bangs to the side where the jewel is positioned for a heavy fringe effect.
|Jason Merritt/Getty Images|
Claire Danes looked every bit the belle of the ball in a gorgeous black and white J. Mendel gown and a soft, swept-back chignon. Hairstylist, Peter Butler, created Danes’ look by envisioning a modern-day Grace Kelly.
To Get The Look: The trick to creating a soft, flattering updo to is to first create a lot of volume. Butler used Wella Professionals Extra Volume Mousse on damp hair, then blow dryed it. Next, curl hair with a large barrel curling iron for extra volume, then pull hair back into a high pony and wrap it into a tight knot. (Danes’ look was only secured with TWO hair pins!) Lastly, comb back hair with fingers, coated with Wella Professionals Mirror Polish Shine Serum for a soft sheen. Spritz with Wella Professionals Stay Essential Hairspray for a hold that will last all night.
|Jason Merritt/Getty Images|
The perfect look for Madge to compliment her flowing Reem Acra dress? Effortless, soft waves, of course. Wella Professionals celebrity stylist, Andy LeCompte created this stunning ‘do for the diva and winner of this year’s Golden Globes’ Best Original Song for a Motion Picture.
To Get The Look: Rough dry hair to manipulate and emphasize natural texture. Then, mist hair with Wella Professionals Thermal Image Heat Protection Spray to protect it from thermal heat while also adding texture. Use a 1-inch flat iron on hair to create soft S formations and add a natural wave texture. Finish with a mist of Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz Beach Texture Spray.
|Jason Merritt/Getty Images|
Busy Philipps looked radiant with a voluminous bouffant, thanks to McMillian’s expert hairstyling.
To Get The Look: Prep wet hair with Wella Professionals Natural Volume Styling Mousse and loosely dry for a textured finish. Then, spray Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray while hair is nearly dry so it’s slightly piece-y and pull into an imperfect, textured French twist.
Add a headband at the top of the head to complete the look for an added touch of elegance.
Shailene Woodley is only 20 years old, but the talented actress looked poised beyond her years in a Marchesa gown and sophisticated updo, created by Wella Professionals stylist, Campbell McAuley.
To Get The Look: First, prep wet hair using Wella Professionals Velvet Amplifier and then let dry naturally with a diffuser. Once nearly dry, lightly mist hair with Wella Professionals Thermal Image Heat Protection Spray before using a 1 3/4 inch curling iron to enhance natural waves. Once hair is prepped, then take a section from crown to ears to divide hair into a front and back split section. At the back section, pull hair back into a ponytail, not pulling it too tight so that there is still a natural hair movement. Spray Wella Professionals Shimmer Delight Shine Spray in the front section to give the best glossy finish for the red carpet. Then, sculpt hair into a side parted wavy style with hands moving into a beautiful twisted bun. Finish off with Wella Professionals Stay Essential Hairspray.
Don’t forget! Visit DailyMakeover.com and leave a comment sharing which hairstyle you like best to be entered to win $100 worth of the Wella Professionals products that were used to create these looks! See full rules and regulations.
Stay tuned to Wella Professionals on Facebook and follow @WellaHairUSA on Twitter for red carpet news and how-to’s this season!