On Saturday, I attended the master makeup class I told y’all about. Mama Spoiled Pretty and I headed to Bloomingdale’s at the Willow Grove Mall to participate in Studio Talk, “the easiest, most intuitive and entertaining way to discover key makeup applications used by MAC artists.”
In this particular session, instructors Jesse (who has made up the fierce faces of Estelle and the
Christina Aguilera as previous clients) and Jocelyn (who led my last Studio Talk class
) taught us how to recreate this season’s hottest makeup trends. Jesse demonstrated an ‘on-trend eye’ look, with blue smoky shadow and a pale lip – while Jocelyn demonstrated an ‘on-trend lip’ look – complete with a geometric bronze eye and red glossy lip. Mama Spoiled Pretty and I opted for the latter, and we had fantastic results – if I do say so myself.
Here’s how it’s done:
1) Mist the face with Fix+, an aqua-spritz of vitamin and minerals, infused with a calm-the-skin blend of green tea, chamomile, cucumber, topped off with the fresh, natural, energizing scent of Sugi.
2) Apply moisturizer using 190 Foundation Brush.
3) Using the 190 Foundation Brush, apply Prep + Prime Skin to entire face; this product acts like double stick tape for your face, so foundation lasts longer than a hot minute.
4) Using a synthetic eye shadow brush like the 242 Shader Brush, apply Paint Pot in Painterly to the eye – from lashline to brow bone. Paint Pots are an excellent shadow, but also do double duty by preventing creasing and acting as a lid primer to prevent shadow slippage.
5) Apply brown eye shadow to lid, from lash line to crease, with the same brush from step 4; I used Mulch Eye Shadow (red-brown w/bronze pearl), which I later purchased. It’s that gorgeous.
6) Using the 219 Pencil Brush (another product I purchased post class), apply gold eye shadow to the lash line, starting at the inner corner and working your way half-way along the top and bottom lash line.
7) Line the eye – in short straight strokes – with Technakohl Liner in Graphblack (rich graphic black) along the entire top lash line.
8) Starting at the middle of the bottom lash line, line with Graphblack – and line outward.
9) Using the short stroke method, create a sideways V on the outer corner of the eye; so start at the outer corner, draw a few short strokes, horizontally – then continue the strokes upward and inward towards the crease of the eye.
10) Take the 219 Pencil Brush and blend the liner you applied in steps 7-9 and smudge them, softening the line.
11) Next, take a darker brown shadow (I used Embark Eye Shadow
– an intense reddish brown) and, using the 219 Pencil Brush, apply in a sideways V to the outer corner of the eye – on top of where you created the sideways V with the Technakohl Liner.
12) Blend the entire eye using the 224 Tapered Blending Brush
and circular motions – to avoid any harsh lines.
13) To create more depth, Jesse suggested I also apply a black shadow in the same manner as step 11 (I used Carbon – intense matte black). He was absolutely right, as it amped up the smokiness. Afterwards, use the 224 Tapered Blending Brush to blend again.
14) Next, apply foundation to the entire face, using the 190 Foundation Brush from steps 2 and 3. Make sure not to disturb your kick ass eye shadow.
15) Using the same brush, apply concealer directly underneath the eyes.
16) If your face is looking a little dry by this point (mine did), mist your face again with Fix+.
17) Using the 208 Angled Brow Brush
, apply a shadow that is slightly darker than your brows to define them thicken them up. Mistakes are easily corrected with a Q-Tip.
18) Using the 129 Powder/Blush Brush
, apply Mineralize SkinFinish in Cheeky Bronze
(soft golden coral w/ bronze pearl) to cheekbones for a subtle glow that illuminates bone structure when it catches the light; it looks so amazing, I ended up buying this product. Jesse also recommended that you say “Bladow!” when applying it; saying this won’t make it look any better, but it’s hilariously fun.
19) Using the same brush, apply a light dusting of blush (I used Sincere Powder Blush,
a muted beige/coral) to the apples of cheeks and blend outwards.
20) Line lips with Spice Lip Pencil
(pink cinnamon stick) and fill them almost all the way in; leave the center of the bottom lip bare.
21) Using the 316 Lip Brush
, apply Viva Glam VI Lipstick
(terracotta-plum with pearl) to both lips.
22) Using the same brush, apply Viva Glam I Lipstick
(intense brownish blue-red) to the center of lips – both top and bottom.
23) Using the 316 Lip Brush again, apply Dazzleglass in Love Alert
(raspberry red with red pearl) to entire mouth.
24) Finish off the look by applying Prep + Prime Lash
to lashes; and while it’s still wet, top lashes off with two coats of Zoom Lash Mascara in Zoomblack
I’d like to give a shout out to Spoiled Pretty readers/Twitter followers who I had the pleasure of meeting at the event: Felicia, Stephanie, Jackie, Sandy and Libby. You ladies looked ab fab after the class, and I hope you all had a fabulously fun time like me and Mama Spoiled Pretty!
Jesse and model
Jocelyn and model
Libby and Mama Spoiled Pretty
The finished product (I almost forgot to take an ‘after’ photo, so I snapped a few in the car)
Better view of the eyes
Another shot of the eyes – Bladow!
I have been told my many a professional that my eyes were made for makeup. Not to sound cocky or anything, but I’m pretty sure that when God formed me in the womb, s/he said to her/himself, “Wow…when this girl grows up, she’s gonna rock a fierce cat eye.”
So to celebrate my third annual 29th birthday, Mr. Spoiled Pretty and I dined at Tinto, one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia – and I sported this ferosh feline eye.
Here’s the recipe to replicate the look:
Apply Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion to entire eye, lashline up to brow bone.
Using MAC 242 Shader Brush, apply Stila Kitten Smudge Pot on the lid – from lashline to crease.
Using MAC 217 Blending Brush, lightly apply Stila Kitten Eye Shadow to the lid – from lashline to brow bone.
Using MAC 266 Small Angle Brush, line the eye with Stila Black Smudge Pot, flicking at the edge.
Prime lashes with Lancome Oscillation Powerbooster. Before it dries, layer Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara on top.
Finally, dip MAC 210 Precise Eye Liner Brush into Stila Kitten Eye Shadow and apply to inner corner of the eye, in a sideways V.
And here’s a bonus – thanks to the products’ staying power, your eye makeup will have nine lives. Meow!
You know how they say magazines sell more issues based on which celeb is on the cover? Well, even though I know it’s true, I never paid a cover much mind, to be honest. I’m a magazine nut – and if the pages are filled with beauty, fashion and star style, I’m buying it – regardless of who is on the front.
But the September 2009 issue of Essence
is a rare exception. As soon as I spotted Gabrielle Union
, sporting an espresso bob with side-swept bangs for her 5th Essence cover, I snatched the mag off the shelf and made a beeline for the register.
“She was mad for her new look with the sexy bangs and shoulder-length cut,” recalls Beauty and Cover Director Mikki Taylor, who led the makeover team in creating this transformation.
When I brought the issue home, I showed Mr. Spoiled Pretty. “Isn’t her hair to-die, Graham?” I asked. To which he replied, “Um…isn’t that how you usually wear your hair when it’s down?” Well, yeah…I am pretty handy with the flat iron and this is the look I’m going for. But Gabrielle’s do is the gold standard, and my limited styling prowess has only achieved bronze status – at best.
But you best believe I’m going to tack this photo up and practice, practice, practice to perfect the look. Too bad there aren’t any products to help replicate Gabrielle’s flawless cocoa complexion and girl next door dimples.
The September 2009 issue of Essence is on newsstands now.
You know how Oprah gives away her favorite things? Well, of course you do – unless you’ve been living under a boulder. Anyway, this week, I’m giving away one of my favorite things…the Stamps ladies’ favorite things, actually (my maiden name is Stamps, by the by).
My sister, Lauren, is a huge fan of Zoya’s Color Lock System Kit. And as I write this, Mama Spoiled Pretty is sporting Zoya’s Renee on her tips and I’m rocking Paz on my toes. So without further ado, I present this week’s contest, sponsored by Zoya.
Three winners will receive Zoya’s Truth and Dare Collections.
Truth Collection (above): classic, bright and straightforward
Penny – copper gold metallic
Kalmia – rose copper metallic
Salma – scarlet red metallic
Isla – venetian red metallic
Anaka – fuchsia metallic glimmer
Drew – mauve rose metallic
Dare Collection: edgy, dark and mysterious
Vanessa – blue red cream
Ciara – burgundy plum cream
Demi – purple mauve cream
Pinta – inky violet cream
Envy – gleaming Jade green
Ibiza – gleaming Sapphire blue (with a little shimmer too)
To enter the giveaway, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your full name and mailing address. The subject line should read “Zoya Truth and Dare Giveaway.” The contest ends at midnight (EST) on Sunday, August 16th. Three winners will be chosen at random from among the entrants. On Monday, August 17th, I’ll announce the winners’ names. Please, only one entry per person; duplicate entries will not increase your chances of winning. Contest is open to U.S. residents.