Today, Mr. Spoiled Pretty and I celebrate our two year anniversary. I’ve never felt more beautiful than I did on my wedding day.
Spoiled Pretty family
Earlier this week, Mama Spoiled Pretty called to check in…for the seventeenth time that day. I was just finishing washing my hands, and I told her so – as we have a TMI relationship. Then, she asked me what seemed like the most inane question ever…
“Did you sing ‘Happy Birthday’ while you washed your hands?”
Huh? What in the world does the Happy Birthday song have to do with hand-washing?
She explained that singing the song in your head ensures that you’re spending an adequate amount of time sudsing up.
Just to make sure this wasn’t some ‘gang members are killing people in Walmart parking lots’-esque urban legend that’s been debunked on snopes.com, I did a little investigative journalism. And it turns out that Mama Spoiled Pretty is a know-it-all, tough as it is to admit.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, when washing your hands with soap and water:
- Wet your hands with clean running water and apply soap. Use warm water if it is available.
- Rub hands together to make a lather and scrub all surfaces.
- Continue rubbing hands for 20 seconds. Need a timer? Imagine singing “Happy Birthday” twice through to a friend!
- Rinse hands well under running water
- Dry your hands using a paper towel or air dryer. If possible, use your paper towel to turn off the faucet
The CDC also recommends hand-washing in the following situations:
- Before preparing or eating food
- After going to the bathroom
- After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has gone to the bathroom
- Before and after tending to someone who is sick
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- After handling an animal or animal waste
- After handling garbage
- Before and after treating a cut or wound
If soap and water aren’t available, use alcohol-based gel to clean hands.
Photo: Getty Images
After watching an infomercial for the Wonder Hanger, Mr. Spoiled Pretty mutters under his breath, “Wonder Hanger, if you can organize my wife’s closet, you deserve a Nobel Prize.”
Have you heard about this little thing called the Swine Flu? Well, Mama Spoiled Pretty sure has. Since the story first broke last week, she’s been calling me constantly…scaring me with play by plays of the latest news reports. So finally, to allay her fears that her first born might become an incubus for the deadly virus, I decided to visit my local Bath & Body Works store and stock up on their Anti-Bacterial collection; because beauty products are so much chicer than a face mask, plastic bubble or haz-mat suit.
And now that I’m protected, I’m doing my civic duty by partnering with Bath & Body Works for a giveaway.
Three Spoiled Pretty readers will win Anti-Bacterial Gentle Foaming Soap, Foaming Sanitizer, and PocketBac Deep Cleansing Hand Gel in Coconut Lime Verbena (my favorite scent).
To enter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your full name and mailing address. The subject line should read “Bath & Body Works Giveaway.” The contest ends at midnight (EST) on Tuesday, May 12th. Three winners will be chosen at random from among the entrants. On Wednesday, May 13th, I’ll announce the winners’ names. Please, only one entry per person; duplicate entries will not increase your chances of winning. Contest is open to U.S. residents.
Good luck…and stay healthy!
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 … 9 Next