Mom and me, circa 1979
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by CoverGirl.
Mother’s Day is this Sunday and I’m so excited. Not just because Mr. Spoiled Pretty and my son, Westley, are treating me to a decadent brunch. But because it’s an opportunity to celebrate my hero, Andrea Stamps.
I must admit that until two years ago, Mother’s Day was just another CONTINUE READING
At Christmastime, I agonized over what to get my son's daycare teachers. There are 12 of them - and even though he has his two main teachers, they all have interaction with him and take excellent care of him. So I needed to buy 12 gifts to show my appreciation, without breaking the bank. $10 each seemed doable, except CONTINUE READING
As a beauty expert, I’m embarrassed by how late I am to the BB Cream party. In the past year, so many friends and colleagues have asked me about BB Creams—what’s the buzz, which brands are the best, etc. —and they would look at me funny when I admitted to not having tried BB Creams yet. I mean, they CONTINUE READING
I’m very fickle about my fingernails. Before I paint my nails or get them professionally did, I spend a inordinate amount of time pondering my polish options. I consider the season, recent trends, my wardrobe that week and anywhere special I might go. But despite all of this planning, I’m usually over my polish choice before it even dries.
Not CONTINUE READING
After beauty products, handbags are my secondary addiction. But when it comes to arm candy, I have discriminating taste. For me, the perfect handbag seamlessly marries fashion with function, is handcrafted from high-quality materials, has really unique hardware and is classic but edgy - all at the same time. I don't like to carry the of-the-moment "it" bag. I CONTINUE READING
Earlier this month, Kate Spade (aka creator of cuteness and the reason why I can't seem to keep money in my wallet), launched a brand new line called Kate Spade Saturday.
Kate Spade Saturday is a new global lifestyle brand created to channel the spirit of Saturday seven days a week. This younger, more accessible sister to kate spade new CONTINUE READING
Believe it or not, I achieved this opacity with just one coat of polish. It took almost no time at all to dry (a huge bonus when you’re multitasking and as busy as I am) and I’ve been getting compliments on my mani all week.
I’ll be reviewing some more products from the new collection in the next couple of days…so stay tuned (and save up your cash).
Earlier this month, I was lucky enough to attend Mario Dedivanovic’s first NYC makeup workshop.
Mario is one of the most sought-after makeup artists in the world and is the wizard behind Kim Kardashian’s flawless face. His celebrity clientele also includes Natasha Bedingfield, Eliza Dushku, Michelle Williams, Amanda Bynes, Gina Gershon and many others.
Over the course of the five hour seminar, Mario worked his makeup magic, demonstrating how to create a red carpet look – with singer/actress Adrienne Bailon acting as his model. Mario also answered the attendees burning beauty questions, like he does here in his Makeup Mondays with Mario column, and shared his expert techniques. And being the sweetheart that he is, he posed for photos with all of the workshop participants.
That’s me in the back, furiously taking notes.
Strike a pose….there’s nothing to it…VOGUE!
For those of you who didn’t attend, you really missed out. Luckily, I took nine pages of copious notes and here are some gems:
* “Making a client feel comfortable is as important than the quality of the work,” Mario said. “If a client doesn’t feel comfortable, they won’t book you again.”
* Kim Kardashian’s makeup can take up to 2 hours, whereas her sister Kourtney likes her makeup to be done in 20 minutes or less.
* Mario’s favorite highlighter is one that he custom blended himself. “EYE M GLAM is a sheer highlighting powder that will give you the most gorgeous, golden glow. Using GIELLA mineral pigments, I custom blended EYE M GLAM while sitting on the floor in my apartment one evening, determined to come up with the best highlighter.” Use it under the brows, on cheekbones, down the bridge of the nose and anywhere else you want to define bone structure. Soon, Giella will be releasing Lip Glam – a peachy golden gloss that Mario mixed to be like EYE M GLAM for lips.
* Mario’s favorite liquid eyeliner is MAC Liquid Eye Liner “because it doesn’t dry glossy – it dries matte.”
* When applying powder cosmetics with brushes, don’t pull and drag – it will just smear and ruin your base. Instead, press the bristles into the skin. And don’t load up the brush with product. Less is always best because you can add more, if necessary. If you accidentally apply too much, you may have to wipe it off and start over again.
* For false fringe, Mario and Adrienne both love Ardell’s #116 lashes. Mario told the workshop attendees that the trick to full and lush-looking false lashes is to layer them. On Adrienne, Mario applied a full strip of the #116 lashes; once dry, he layered a half strip of the #116 on the outer corner of each eye. Once the second layer is dry, draw a line of eyeliner at the base of the lashes – to mask the line. Then curl lashes and apply a coat of mascara to “marry” your real lashes with the false ones and make them appear more natural.
* When applying concealer under the eyes, Mario takes it to a whole nuther level. Using a brush, he applies a cream concealer (that is 2 shades lighter than your skin tone) under each eye – in the shape of an inverted triangle. The bottom tip of the triangle should be mid-cheek, at the level of your nostril. Then layer a liquid concealer on top of the cream concealer (Mario likes Make Up For Ever Lift Concelaer). Then blend…blend…blend, girl – using the ultimate beauty tool, the beautyblender sponge.
* When you’re finished your makeup, apply MAC Fix+ to set everything. Mario said, “The silicone in it makes all of the makeup look more natural.”
In addition to attending the workshop and learning from the master, I was also a sponsor of the event. I raffled off a basket of Spoiled Pretty faves (you know I love me a giveaway), which included:
* CoSTUME NATIONAL SCENT: SCENT was created to highlight the intoxicating floral of hibiscus. Somewhat light and fresh at first, SCENT gradually makes its way to a rich, golden elixir. Perfect for the well-bred bad boy (or girl)! * ghd Scarlet Collection Limited Edition: Inspired by the bold reds hues and ‘Art Deco’ influence seen on the catwalks of designers such as Gucci, Rodarte and Marc Jacobs, ghd introduces Scarlet Collection Limited Edition. For the first time ever, hot red styling plates adorn the best selling ghd Gold Series Professional Styler, whose signature rounded barrel allows you to easily create curls, waves, flicks or straight looks. Packaged in a luxe, red satin roll mat that doubles as a chic clutch, this limited edition collection is the perfect accessory to keep you and your hair looking stylish. * TEMPTU Limited Edition Everyday Luxury Set: TEMPTU, the worldwide leader in high-definition airbrush makeup, is offering the gift of flawless, A-List skin with the Limited Edition Everyday Luxury Set. This luxurious gift set makes airbrushing at home simple with TEMPTU’s revolutionary technology including the TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System, a gift certificate to receive a free custom match AIRpod Foundation as well as a chic limited edition silver Jet Set Case to stylishly store your collection. * TEMPTU BASE Smooth & Matte Primer: This portable powerhouse creates a poreless finish, diffuses skin’s flaws, and fights shine all day and night! Now you can minimize the look of pores and fine lines and achieve a soft-matte, airbrushed complexion without the heavy, greasy feel traditionally associated with face primers. * LaLicious Sugar Reef Collection: LaLicious introduces their newest scent, Sugar Reef. Infused with notes of casaba melon, white tea and ginger, Sugar Reef encapsulates the clean and fresh aroma of an ocean breeze. This luxurious scrub and body oil are formulated to moisturize and smooth your skin to perfection. Lalicious products are all natural and free of parabens, preservatives and sulfate detergents. * Mary Kay Mineral Eye Color Bundles: Your eye color – intensified! Expert makeup artists have done the thinking for you – picking the right vibrant, long-lasting mineral eye shades to make your eye color pop. Available in Beautiful Brown, Brilliant Blue, Gorgeous Green and Hypnotic Hazel. * Mary Kay TimeWise Miracle Set: Provides incredible age-fighting results to help you maintain younger-looking skin. The set offers 11 age-defying benefits in one skin care regimen: cleanse, exfoliate, freshen, energize, hydrate, smooth, firm, soften, protect, rebuild and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. And it even works with sensitive skin. * Mary Kay TimeWise Night Restore & Recover Complex: Awaken the age-fighting potential of your skin at night and get the most out of your beauty sleep. This advanced age fighter works with your skin’s natural cycle to recover from the day’s damage. So you can wake up to younger-looking skin. * Mary Kay NouriShine Plus Lip Gloss: Kiss your lips with instant moisture, feel-good benefits and serious shine. This gloss is available in 14 gorgeous colors you can’t live without. You’ll love the superlight, long-lasting, creamy formula and the good-for-your-lips ingredients, like antioxidants and botanical extracts, that leave lips smoothed, protected and conditioned.
Mario picks Anjanet as the winner of the beauty basket raffle!
Many thanks to the aforementioned brands for generously donating products for the giveaway.
Anjanet, the lucky winner, definitely got a workout toting her beauty booty back to the Bronx.
Mario’s workshop was an amazing event and I’m so glad I made the trip to NYC (some people even traveled from other countries to see Mario in person – he’s THAT good). The workshop has received rave reviews. I even taped a few…
The stars may have spent hours in hair and makeup before hitting the red carpet, but we have the scoop from the Wella Professionals hairstylists, who created some of the evening’s most glamorous hairstyles, on how to get these looks at home without breaking a sweat.
Want red carpet hair? DailyMakeover.com is giving away 10 packs that retail for $100 of Wella Professionals hairstyling products that were used to create the following glamorous looks. Just click this link, and leave a message in the comments area saying which red carpet hairstyle you like best to be entered to win!
Jason Merritt/Getty Images
“Michelle looks incredible with this short, modern Mia Farrow inspired style,” says LA stylist Chris McMillian, who created her look. “It’s a retro ’60s combined with Flapper flair type of look that shows there’s still a lot of glamour and versatility with short hair.”
To Get The Look: First, apply Wella Professionals Natural Volume Styling Mousse to wet hair, then use your hands to shape your hair while it air dries. Once dry, lift up your roots and blow dry upward to create extra lift at the crown. Then, apply Wella Professionals Mirror Polish for a glossy finish and to help smooth hair into shape. Add a simple black headband with a jeweled brooch to give this retro look a modern spin. Push bangs to the side where the jewel is positioned for a heavy fringe effect.
Claire Danes looked every bit the belle of the ball in a gorgeous black and white J. Mendel gown and a soft, swept-back chignon. Hairstylist, Peter Butler, created Danes’ look by envisioning a modern-day Grace Kelly.
The perfect look for Madge to compliment her flowing Reem Acra dress? Effortless, soft waves, of course. Wella Professionals celebrity stylist, Andy LeCompte created this stunning ‘do for the diva and winner of this year’s Golden Globes’ Best Original Song for a Motion Picture.
Don’t forget! Visit DailyMakeover.com and leave a comment sharing which hairstyle you like best to be entered to win $100 worth of the Wella Professionals products that were used to create these looks! See full rules and regulations.
It’s the perfect time to learn about winter skincare essentials. Let Nordstrom teach you the latest break-throughs and innovations in advanced skin care, and how to look your radiant, rejuvenated best all season long.
Book your appointment (appointment required) for a one-on-one consultation with our specialists, meet industry experts and receive a personalized skin care regimen to address your individual needs. Plus, let Fragrance Advisors indulge you with luxurious scented creams and lotions for long-lasting fragrance during those winter months!
Receive a gift with your $100 Cosmetics or Fragrance purchase during the event; while supply lasts. This limited-edition green tote was designed by Nordstrom’s National Beauty and Fragrance Director, Cheri Botiz.
Friday and Saturday, January 13th and 14th 11:00 am – 7:00 pm Nordstrom – The Plaza at King of Prussia 190 North Gulph Road King of Prussia, PA 19406-2932 (610) 265-6111
The Golden Globes are nearing, and while some are excited to see which movies and miniseries win, we’re excited to see the celebs, dresses and ‘dos! We talked to Wella Professionals Celebrity Hairstylist Andy LeCompte and Wella Professionals Color Ambassador Aura Friedman about their predictions on what hairstyles will make their way down the red carpet on Sunday night. They’ve had the pleasure of working with Golden Globe stars, including Penelope Cruz, Jennifer Lopez, Fergie, and Megan Fox.
Charlize Theron is likely to sport a look that is understated and chic
Effortless Elegance With A Glossy Finish
“I think we’ll see a peak in fluid textures that suggest effortless elegance, like very healthy and sleek hair that shows a lot of movement. This style will be popular with soft and light tones with a warm glow that emphasizes healthy, shiny hair representative of the Wella Trend Vision look aptly named, Grace,” says LeCompte. Another great example: Charlize Theron’s shiny, sleek blowout with gentle waves.
To get the look, first, apply a good amount of hair primer, like Wella Professionals Velvet Amplifier, to wet hair. This will create an even surface on each hair follicle, improving the evenness of your overall end look. Then, while your hair is still wet, apply a smoothing balm, such as Wella Professionals Flowing Form, to dramatically enhance the manageability and smoothness of your blowout. One you’ve finished blow drying your hair, finish with a spritz of shine spray. Wella Professionals Shimmer Delight helps keep hair healthy and shimmering, despite the heat of a blowout.
Courtesy of Wella Professionals
Statement-Making Tones And Daring Definition
To the contrary, we can also expect to see daring, modern styles made possible by the evolution of high tech hair tools and high pigment color. Wella Professionals Color Ambassador Aura Friedman says, “We can look forward to the soft introduction of this very bold hair color trend at the Golden Globes this year. Inspired by the Trend Vision look, “Roxy,” this is an attention grabbing style where color plays an integral role. We will especially see a shift to cool red tones and bursts of violet, statement-making colors with an edge of sophistication.”
“A perfect color,” says Aura, “should complement the person who’s wearing it…but also suit their personality and lifestyle. It should enhance, but not overpower.” To keep vibrant hues looking their best, Aura suggests to avoid shampooing too much and use a color-safe shampoo and conditioner, like Wella’s Brilliance Line. If your hair is very dull, she also recommends getting a clear gloss to add instant vibrancy and seal the cuticle of your hair for added shine. As for the style, this look does not shy away from shape or definition. Tight curls and gravity-defying shapes can be expected. With such “atypical” styles being created with styling tools, it’s very important to prepare your hair with a heat protectant spray before styling, such as Wella Professionals Thermal Image Heat Protectant Spray. You’ll need to finish the look with a strong-hold hairspray, such as Wella Professionals Stay Firm Finishing Spray.
Stormy Weather is the product of two people who are among the best in their industries. Deborah Lippmann is a top manicurist who has her own line that includes over 65 shades of nail polish. Narciso Rodriguez a fashion designer known for his sleek, modern designs and use of clean colors. I am an admirer of both of their work!
Stormy weather is a shade that Deborah Lippmann created with Narciso Rodriguez for his Fall 2011 show. It is a deep granite creme shade, that is unlike any color I have seen on the market. As a fan of dark and unexpected nail polish, I had to have this color. I was very excited when it appeared in my Christmas stocking, and could not wait to get some time for a manicure.
This is a great quality polish. It went on smoothly, and looked exactly like it did in the bottle. Above is a shot of two coats of the polish.
Then, it was time to play. After admiring matte effect nails for a long time, I finally purchased my own matte topcoat. I chose OPI for Sephora ($9.50). Here is a shot of Stormy Weather and a matte topcoat.
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited without prior written permission.
Any images not produced by me may be those available on the Internet and are believed to be public domain. Those images posted are believed to be published according to the U.S. Copyright Fair Use Act (title 17, U.S. Code).